Foster an Animal
Thank you for your interest in becoming a DAWS foster parent. DAWS is able to rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome more animals because of our Foster Care Program.
Foster parents provide temporary care for cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies in their own homes. Some animals need as little as two weeks of care, while others may need care for up to two months.
By offering your time, energy and home to an animal in need, you prepare the animal for adoption into a permanent home. DAWS is always looking for additional foster homes, especially throughout the busy spring and summer seasons.
You can reach the Foster Program at email@example.com.
What Animals Benefit from Foster Care?
Foster programs aren’t just for kittens and puppies. Nearly any animal we have can benefit from foster care:
- Orphaned kittens and puppies needing to be bottle-fed
- Mother cats or dogs with nursing kittens or puppies
- Under-aged, self-feeding kittens and puppies (4-8 weeks old)
- Animals recovering from injury or illness (may need medication)
- Shy or fearful animals that need socialization
- Healthy adult animals waiting for space at the shelter, or that need a break from life at the shelter
- Animals that are mildly sick (may need medication)
- Animals that would benefit from home-to-home adoption
Daws provides all veterinary care and medicine for foster animals, plus plenty of support to foster parent volunteers.
Learn More about the DAWS Foster Care Program
If you are interested in volunteering with DAWS as a foster care provider, please follow these steps:
- Be of age. The primary caregiver of the foster animal must be at least 21 years old
- Be in the area. Foster volunteers must be able to get to our shelter in Bethel on a regular basis. Please consider the potential commute before applying to volunteer.
- Complete foster application. Please print out, complete, and submit the foster application to DAWS. Applications can be submitted by one of three methods:
- Drop off the application to the shelter Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-2:00 PM and 6:00-8:00 PM and Saturday-Sunday 2:00-4:00 PM.
- Fax the application to DAWS at 203.748.6791
- Mail the application to DAWS, 147 Grassy Plain Street, Bethel, CT 06801 ATTN: Foster Coordinator. Foster Application.
- Attend an orientation. You will learn about all volunteer positions available at DAWS, our history, and policies. After you submit your application, a Volunteer Coordinator will be in touch to let you know when the next orientations are scheduled.
- Attend a training session. The Foster Care Coordinator will work with you to schedule the required training