Keep the Holidays Safe for Pets

While the sparkle and glitter of the holiday season can bring joy to many, the decorations we use to create our holiday
homes can be dangerous for pets. Ensure the holidays are happy for everyone. Keep these tips in mind to keep your holiday home safe for your furry friends.

Keeping Pets Safe as You Create Your Holiday Home39200-Silver-Christmas-Candles

The holidays are a time to decorate your home and create a festive environment. For families with pets, it’s important to keep the safety of your pets in mind while creating the perfect holiday atmosphere. Pets are curious in nature, and many holiday decorations are tempting to our furry friends. Unfortunately, they can also be harmful. Here are some things to consider that can help you keep the holiday season happy and safe for everyone.

Christmas trees are a staple in many holiday homes, but it is important to ensure your tree is secure and stable. Trees can topple over when curious cats try to climb them or your rambunctious pooch gets a little too close. Live trees can also be hazardous if your pets decide to chew on them. The fir tree oils can irritate the tissues in the mouth and ingested needles can puncture the intestines or bunch together causing an obstruction. Chemical preservatives sprayed onto live trees can also leach into the water dish, making the water poisonous to drink, which pets will do if the water is left uncovered.

Shiny tinsel is sometimes too irresistible to pets, but it can be extremely dangerous. If ingested, tinsel can create a linear foreign body, which can wrap around the base of the tongue or anchor in the stomach, making it unable to pass through. As the intestines contract, the linear foreign body can slowly saw through the tissue, resulting in risk of severe injury to, or rupture of their intestines.

Artificial snow, angel hair, and flocking can be toxic to pets if ingested in significant amounts. It is best to leave these off of your trees and other holiday decorations.

Pets often consider electrical cords to be great chew toys, but we all know that is not the case.Chewing on electrical cords can burn a pet’s mouth or result in electrical shock or death by electrocution. Use pet-proof extension cords, and spray cords with a deterrents such as bitter apple.

Ingested ribbons, yarn, and string can bunch in the intestines and cause blockages. These conditions require surgery and can be fatal. Keep these items out of reach of your pets.

Lit candles create that warm glow of the season, but lit candles can burn pets that get too close to them. A candle knocked over by a curious cat or a playful pup can cause a house fire with dire consequences. Never leave candles burning unsupervised and within reach of your pets.

Many people use potpourri to bring the smells of the season indoors. The oils used to create those smells can be toxic to pets when ingested. Don’t leave potpourri in a spot easily reached by your pets.

Keeping these tips in mind when decorating your home for the holidays can help you create a welcoming and safe ambiance that everyone can enjoy.